Thank you for your interest in the Medical Scientist Training Program! For a detailed timeline of the admissions cycle, please review the School of Medicine’s admissions calendar. Applicants are encouraged to apply early as we are rolling admissions; and, the majority of interviews will take place prior to Winter Break.
NOTE: Your application may appear incomplete in our system. Your application is handled individually and reviewed carefully for completeness. This can take up to 5-7 business days. Thank you for your patience.
Please review the following information regarding the application process for admission to the MSTP.
How to Apply
Applicants are encouraged to apply by December 15. You should apply and submit letters of recommendation to the University of Virginia School of Medicine through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Once the School of Medicine’s Office of Admissions has received verification of your application, you will be prompted to complete the MD/PhD Supplemental Application. The MSTP will not consider your application until both portions are complete.
- At the time of application, all applicants must have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours of coursework from an accredited U.S., Canadian or United Kingdom college/university.
- International students are considered for admission. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible to apply provided they have completed at least 90 semester hours of coursework from an accredited U.S., Canadian or United Kingdom college/university.
- The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is required of all applicants. All applicants must present scores from tests taken no later than September 30th of the year prior to matriculation, and no earlier than April 1st of the three years prior to matriculation. GREs are not required.
*Currently, during the COVID-19 pandemic, we understand students may be facing delays in MCAT testing. While the testing deadline has not changed, the Admissions Committee will take these circumstances into consideration when reviewing applications.
Letters of Recommendation
- Letters of recommendation should be submitted through AMCAS. Letters of recommendation may not be mailed to the School of Medicine or MSTP office.
- The MSTP Supplemental Application asks that you name two letters of recommendation (from your packet orsubmitted to AMCAS separately) that you would like us to pay particular attention to as we review your application.
These characteristics in an applicant are ideal:
- Evidence of independent research experience and demonstrated commitment to biomedical research supported by letters of recommendation from those who know you and your research best
- Completion of basic science course work beyond the minimum required for admission to Medical School, including advanced courses with a research focus
- An understanding of the demands of a Medical Scientist Training Program and a career as a physician scientist.
Interviews & Decisions
The MSTP extends approximately 50 interviews per year. Applicants are invited to interview via email; followed by a phone conversation with the Director to discuss the applicant’s research interests. Interviews are a two-day process. Approximately 2-3 weeks after the interview, the MSTP Executive Committee will notify each interviewee with their decision.
Applicants who have been extended an offer of admission will be invited to revisit Grounds for Second Look. Second Look takes place in April of each recruitment cycle. Second Look gives admitted students the opportunity to meet with faculty and current students, as well as explore Charlottesville and the surrounding area.
- School of Medicine’s NxGen Curriculum
- Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program
- Biomedical Engineering
- International Studies Office
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Ashley Woodard, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.